Kelly is doing her dissertation on fanfiction subcultures, which means I have already helped by filling out the survey, and I have permission to put it up here in case any of you would like to help, too! It's quick and easy - a bit of information (no name, nothing too specific) and a few questions about fandom!term definitions. I thought putting it on my journal may offer voices from a few different fandoms, ages, and interests (femslash comes to mind).
I'll leave the words from Kelly and the survey beneath the cut.
As part of my dissertation on fanfiction, I am doing a survey to study fanfiction subcultures. I would be very grateful if you could fill in this survey and send it back to me via email, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email addresses will be kept confidential and are not part of the study.
Please answer the questions according to your own present knowledge and understanding - no answer is right or wrong. If you don't know an answer, that's fine - just move onto the next question. Initial answers are part of the survey, not answers according to fanfiction dictionaries.
Thank you so much for your help - it is very much appreciated!
Initial Foundation Questions
1) What age bracket do you fall in to? [Please delete as appropriate]
13 to 16
17 to 18
19 to 21
22 to 25
26 to 35
36 to 45
46 to 55
56 to 65
65 and over
2) [In] what country do you currently reside?
3) Do you read and/or write fanfiction?
4) How long have you been reading and/or writing fanfiction?
5) What fandom related websites do you use? [Please delete as appropriate]
Other [Please specify]
1) What does 'PWP' stand for?
2) What does 'RPF' stand for?
3) What does 'AU' stand for?
4) What does 'BNF' stand for?
5) What does 'OC' stand for?
6) What does 'MC' stand for?
7) What does 'AN' stand for?
8) What does 'Non-Con' mean?
9) What does 'Squick' mean?
10) What does 'Crack' mean?
11) What can 'OOC' mean?
12) What does 'Canon Rape' entail?
13) What is a 'Round Robin'?
14) What is a 'Bunny'?
15) What is a 'Splat'?
She thanks you all for participating!
Thank you to anyone who does it! I personally found it rather fun. It surprised me how accustomed I am to these terms when they really are a fandom phenomenon, so mostly Internet, except during those rare and wonderful moments of spending time in real-person-3D with my dear fandom friends! And yet, I find them sneaking their way into my speech in general, when it comes to the written word or random things in life.
Off off and away I am, because a bunny is nibbling on my tosies, and that's dangerous!